Tuesday, May 18, 2010

To Suck or Not to Suck?

In the last week or so, Cameron has found his thumbs. While I'm not crazy that it's looking like he's going to be a thumb-sucker, this has also meant that he has started to sleep through the night!!! In fact, he slept one night over the weekend from 9:00 PM - 9:30 AM which resulted in eight hours of uninterrupted sleep for me!!! There is no amount of exclamation points that is adequate enough to express the joy that is eight hours of uninterrupted sleep!!!

However, I'm not sure if I should be worried that Cameron is sucking his thumb. He really only seems to do so when he's tired, and once he's fallen asleep, his hands fall out of his mouth. I read an article on BabyCenter.com that said not to worry about it at this age, because he's learning to soothe himself by sucking his thumbs and consequently, if he wakes up, he will be able to put himself back to sleep. During the day, we try to keep his hands out of his mouth unless he's really tired (to be fair, he will suck on his pacifier, so it's not like he's a thumb-only guy). As he gets older, I would prefer for him to suck on a pacifier so that we can take it away later. So what do you think - any advice from all of you experienced parents out there? Should we let Cameron suck on his thumb or not?

P.S. I'm blogging while riding the train into work - LOVE riding the train!

4 comments:

  1. I think it's awesome that Cameron's found his thumb, I wish Sadie would find hers...she's pretty good about putting herself back to sleep though. I wouldn't worry about it at this age, but maybe when you see him getting tired, put a pacifier in there instead. I'm only a rookie too, and my baby won't suck on anything but me...but it's worth a try!

    Christie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say let him suck his thumb! I wish Cutler would suck his thumb. He's still wanting to nurse all the time instead (or basically use me as a human pacifier). So for comfort it would be nice to have the thumb as an option too! :) Your little guy is sooooo cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! The thumb is waaaaaay better than a pacifier!

    All my friends who are going through the stage of taking away their kids' pacifiers are going through hell for the most part. They have to find creative ways to get rid of it and it makes their kids really upset.

    With a thumb, it's usually only for them to soothe themselves and go to sleep, so it's not like they're running around a park doing it when they're five like some people let their kids do with pacifiers. Lame.

    I am sooooo thankful Brooklyn never took to a pacifier because I never had to take it away. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I came across this on facebook today and I thought of you:

    "So, I decided to cut the pacifier cold turkey... she's been in bed crying for over 45 minutes. 15 more, and I give in & she can keep it for a few more weeks - until I get the strength to deal with the tears." -- Followed by multiple comments of how others have dealt with this nightmare... Haha!

    Just thought I'd share! :0)

    ReplyDelete