Monday, January 4, 2016

And the second one gets a whole paragragh

Carter has taken to calling me back into his room after his bed time routine to tell me, "sometimes I love you, sometimes I hate you."  He says it with a smile, like he knows he's the cutest thing in the world.  But I know he's putting me on notice.  I better step up my parenting and stop messing with his eternal will or I will be deprived of his charm.  It's a pretty effective strategy.  And I don't know if a lot of two-year-olds are perpetual trash talkers, but this one is like Gary Payton in his prime.  If he wins at something he lets you know.  If he loses, he usually still thinks he won and let's you know.  He mostly just works with the phrases "I win," "how you like that," and "yeah baby" in various sequences, but he also sprinkles in the occasional "in the face."  I'm sure he is socially reinforced for all of this.  Things Carter love include: Thomas the train, Peach from Mario Kart, puzzles, and his brother.  That little dude adores his brother.  He mimics his actions with cult-like fervor.  And it seems like the cult mostly consists of rituals involving nudity and/or quests for parental attention.  Carter is the sort of kid who is usually down to try new things, as long as those new things aren't food.  He's already discovered the art of sarcasm and the power of withholding his affection.  He's sweet and cuddly.  He's smart and always paying attention.  He can go 15 minutes without saying a word and then jump right into the middle of the conversation.  He's a great kid.  To know Carter is to love him.  Unless you are on the losing end of a puzzle race with the little punk...

No comments:

Post a Comment