Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Real Vamps of Leander

Forget fictional vampires like Edward Cullen, I know where the real vampires lurk in our neighborhood: our local daycares. Yes, it's true, Cameron suffered his first biting attack from another child at daycare yesterday, although when the director called, she affectionately referred to it as a "love bite." Apparently, Cameron's teacher was busy preparing lunch when the other child bit him on the forearm, so the teacher's not sure if the attack was provoked or not. I was: A) doubtful that Cameron provoked the attack, B) relieved to hear the little vamp's bite didn't break the skin, and C) surprised at how small the teeth mark was on Cam's arm. Anyways, he cried for a minute and then wanted to eat lunch, so I guess he wasn't traumatized!

I also deduced it must be policy not to reveal the identity, or even the gender, of the biter. Both when the director called and in the formal incident report they gave me, all that was mentioned was "the other child." The director assured me that "the other child's" parents would be notified that he/she bit another child and that they would monitor behavior to see if there is a repeat pattern between "the other child" and Cameron. Little vamp.

I know I'm biased, but I think Cameron is such a sweet little boy, and it makes me a little sad to think he's going to start learning bad behavior like biting. I just hope I don't get a phone call soon, saying that Cameron is the biting offender.

Last night, it only felt apropros to read "The Tooth Book" by Dr. Seuss for Cameron's bedtime story. Mike, his ever-witty self, spontaneously added a final verse to the book, "And when you're not tough enough to make a fist, a mean kid will bite you on the wrist." Another teachable moment by Dr. Graves.

No comments:

Post a Comment