Thursday, November 5, 2009

Peds, Sweet G-Baby, and Belly Pics

Mike and I went to a "Meet the Pediatricians" event last night at the doctor's office to see the practice and meet the pediatrician whom my ob-gyn highly recommended. There are six different pediatricians in this practice, and we liked all of them. (In true Mike fashion, he wanted to organize a fantasy draft with the four other couples to see which doctor we would get. Unfortunately, in order to draft our #1 pick, we might have had to rumble with a larger woman who liked to ask astute questions even more than me.) We especially liked the doctor recommended to us, Dr. Spencer. I was impressed with Dr. Spencer because through the course of the event, he was able to successfully persuade Mike that there are some health-related benefits and not just cultural reasons to circumcise G-Baby (see poll to the left).


In other news, I took the 28-week glucose screening test at my doctor's appointment yesterday. I was very proud of myself for staying calm while they drew two vials. Unfortunately, the lab called this afternoon to say that my blood sugar is up, so I have to come in next week for the THREE-HOUR glucose tolerance test. When I asked the nurse if they had to draw blood or if it was a finger-prick, she laughed a menacing cackle and said, "Oh, you should be so lucky to have just a finger-prick!" Very reassuring. So some time next week, I have to go into the lab between 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM - that's THREE hours of drinking sugar water, waiting, and drawing FOUR vials of blood. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that next week's test results will come back negative for gestational diabetes. Stay tuned...

Also, I've been remiss in not posting updated belly pics. Here are some new shots from the last few weeks - as you can see, I'm definitely showing!


Week 24

Week 25
Week 26

1 comment:

  1. Oh, the dreaded glucose test. I had to do the extensive one when I was pregnant with Brooklyn. (Luckily it didn't turn out to be gestational diabetes.)

    I'm sorry, but I can't sugarcoat this for you. IT WAS HORRIBLE! Go as early as you can because you can't eat anything and you will be starving by the end. Take something to do to pass the time, it seems like an eternity. And unfortunately, there's nothing good about the stuff they make you drink so just suck it up and do your best to keep it down. :0)

    I was dreading it this time around because I was sure they would make me come back for the second one, but praise God, I passed! So maybe with your second baby you'll be okay. (A little glimmer of hope). I tried to stay away from sugar the few days before I went...I wonder if that helped...??

    Anyway, good luck!

    ReplyDelete