Sunday, July 25, 2010

New Food #1: Sweet Potatoes

Awhile ago, I decided that I was going to try to make as much of Cameron's baby food as possible. As a working mom, I'm not sure it's realistic to think I can make all of his food, but I've heard it's not that hard, so I thought I'd give it a go to see for myself.

Cereal has been going well, so I thought we'd move on to something new. This great book I'm reading, The Baby Food Bible by Eileen Behan, suggests introducing sweet potatoes after cereal. It looked easy enough, so I started to gather all the pureeing supplies: I bought a handheld immersion blender (thanks for the recommendation, Pam!) and I found some ice cube trays. Yesterday, I baked two sweet potatoes, pureed them with a little breastmilk, and voila - we had about 15 ice cubes of sweet potatoes ready to freeze!


We went out to dinner last night, so we decided a restaurant wouldn't be a good place to try new food. So tonight I gave Cameron the sweet potatoes. I let him smell them first, and then he opened his mouth. Once he finished his first bite, he immediately opened his mouth wide for the next spoonful - he never did anything like this during cereal feedings! He ate the entire bowl, so I would say the sweet potatoes were successful.

Next food I plan to try: avocado. Since we're going to be in Southern California later this week, I thought we'd be in the right place to get some fresh, ripe avocados. Plus, then Mike and I can enjoy them too!

P.S. Did you know that although sweet potatoes are called yams, the true yam is a starchy tropical tuber that isn't grown commerically in the U.S.?

No comments:

Post a Comment