Saturday, January 8, 2011

The power of the written word

I don't know if you've ever had the mind-blowing experience that is Nancy Tafuri's "Goodnight, My Duckling," but if you haven't yet, you're about to. I found this treasure in the library and chose to check it out based on the critical acclaim. This is the review printed on the back of the book:

"Quiet, lovely, and soothing, this is a worthy companion to Tafuri's Have You Seen My Duckling?" - Kirkus Reviews


Sounds absolutely delightful right? Well here is the story:

Early one evening...
"Time for bed, my ducklings!"
"Goodnight, little duckling."
"Sleep tight, little duckling."
"See you in the morning, little duckling."
"Hurry home, little duckling."
"Are you lost, little duckling?"
"There you are my duckling!"
"Sweet dreams little duckling."
"I love you, my duckling."
Goodnight.

Wow. The more I read that the more touched I am. I'll admit, the first time I read it I was a little perplexed with the initial transition from "Early one evening..." to dialogue. Initially I was left with a similar feeling to the confused wonder I experienced at the end of Black Swan. But clearly Goodnight My Duckling is not to be understood. It is to be experienced. It says so much by saying so little. Again, all I can really say is Wow. What a metaphor for life. A masterpiece. So much pain and beauty in one story is almost too hard to take. I am going to end this blog early to continue my weeping in peace. Be well and remember that,

I love you my ducklings,
Papa

1 comment: