Monday, January 25, 2010

Results from round one

First, I would like to thank everyone for their input. Much appreciated. All of your comments were taken into serious consideration. Allow me to present your first round winners (complete with brief game notes from each matchup).

1. Jackson defeats 4.Tupaquiupanqui in a rout. This game was never close. Despite the fact that Tupaquiupanqui had the grandest meaning of all contestants (it means memorable and glorious lord), it didn't stand a chance against the rugged-southern feel of Jackson. If we name our child Jackson Graves, he is almost guaranteed to be really really goooood looooking. Which is nice. Plus me and my son together will be Michael Jackson (the young cool version of course, not the creepy older one).

2. Dylan defeats 3. Tyler in a nail biter. The battle of the Y's actually went into overtime and was only decided about 5 minutes ago. (Aaron, I think your post helped me persuade Mindy, so thank you for your contribution.) Dylan McKay was everything I was never able to be, so I would like to give my son the opportunity to fulfill my dream. If young Graves is a sixteen year old with a bachelor pad and a girlfriend like Kelly Taylor, I will be the proudest papa ever. But if he even considers leaving his Kelly look-alike for anybody resembling Brenda Walsh, then father and son are going to be having a serious talk.

3. This one pains me to write: 1. Jordan over 4. Stryker. My quest has come to an end. Stryker Graves is nothing but a memory now. I feel like I should give a heartfelt concession speech to everyone who supported my campaign, but I don't know if I have the heart to do it. I want to be very clear right now that if my child's name ends up being Jordan, he is in no way named after that Overrated, Selfish, Traveling, Gambling-Addicted, Sociopath M. Jordan (I won't type his full name to protect his anonymity).

2. Cameron defeats 3. Isaiah. Cameron won this matchup for 2 reasons. 1) The nickname Cam is the best nickname of any contestant. I am hoping to constantly re-enact the rap song "Hey Ma" (by Cam'ron) with my son, where I train him to respond, "What up?" every time I say, "Hey Cam." As I'm sure you've guessed by now, I've lobbied hard to spell Cam'ron with that unnecessary punctuation. So cool. 2) As much as I love unnecessary punctuation, I hate words with totally redundant vowels. Why is Isaiah spelled like that? Seriously?!?! Besides, Isaiah seriously challenges my spelling skills every time I type it. In the end, Isaiaiah really had no chance against the mighty Cam.

It pains me greatly that the first round produced no upsets. But I think that it goes to show that the seeding was legit. And we have some excellent second round matchups to look forward to. Here is the final four:

1. Jackson vs. 2. Dylan

1. Jordan vs. 2. Cam'ron

This is going to be tough to decide!

6 comments:

  1. The first one is tough for us. I do like Jackson, but in the light of a recent addition to our family, I might go with Dylan. :0) But it really doesn't matter because I'm going for the winner of the other matchup...
    The second one is easy, but not spelled that way. My vote is for Cameron! Obviously, Aaron's love for Duke has rubbed off on me. Jordan only makes me think of Sparks...too girly.
    Dylan and Cameron in the FINALS with Cameron taking it all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's my write in name?

    The Occurrence

    ReplyDelete
  3. My top vote is for Cameron, spelled with all the vowels in place. Cameron Graves has a really cool sound to it, very masculine, and definitely good looking! )Of course he will be good looking no matter what name you choose.) It is hard to decide between Jackson and Dylan. I think I prefer Jackson because I have taught three REALLY, REALLY naughty boys named Dylan over the years.
    So Cameron and Jackson for me.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going Jackson, I do think Jackson Graves has a nice ring to it.
    I just simply can't go with Cameron-I'm not a hater, just can't do it. :) Also, Jordan Shipley is only one of the greatest UT wide receivers ever!
    So Jackson and Jordan for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going with Dylan and Cameron. I've already voiced my rationale. However, if you want the UT connection, why are you passing over the 2 best options: Colt and Major? Combine them in any order, and that's a name nobody wants to mess with. If you like WR's so much, then just go Shipley Graves.
    p.s. I can't wait to hear the actual name, which I'm expecting to be a name no one's even mentioned on this blog yet.

    ReplyDelete