Saturday, January 23, 2010

Tournament o' Names

Okay, we're getting down to the wire and have yet to come up with a name. No, this is not a mirage to hold off inquiries from friends and family, we truly have not named this thing yet. We do have some working titles for the little guy though. In fact, we seem to have narrowed it down to a short-list. Progress my friends.

But now I think I have another idea that just might expedite this process. I would like to present a "march madness" style tournament that decides our child's moniker once and for all. Using information from our conversations regarding names (note to our shower-goers: the number of these is far closer to my estimate than Mindy's) I have taken the liberty of seeding the candidates. Names will go head-to-head against each other with the prevailing name advancing to the next round. Rounds will occur daily, so names will have no time to rest between matchups. This is a single elimination tournament with the winners being decided by intense arguing, err I mean discussion, between Mindy and myself. Keep in my mind that I haven't run this by the Mrs. yet (aka this might not really be happening). With that being said, I present to you the elite eight:

1: Jackson
vs.
4: Tupaquiupanqui

2: Dylan
vs.
3: Tyler

1: Jordan
vs.
4: Stryker

2: Cameron
vs.
3: Isaiah

Feel free to cast your support behind any of these worthy competitors. I'm rooting for some upsets! Let the madness begin.

8 comments:

  1. I vote for Jackson, Tyler, Cameron or Isaiah. Also, grandma is turning over in her grave, you anti-crafter you!
    Your loving mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jackson - forget the rest. "Jack Graves" sounds like an MI-5 agent. Totally hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy says the baby will be born on January 28th since that is Vicky's birthday. We are all at grandpa's watching some football game so I took votes for the names. We have 2 votes for Jackson, 2 votes for Jordan, Nancy votes for Benjamin and Patty wants Doug.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2 votes for Cameron!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jackson, Tyler, Jordan, Isaiah-I'm not really a fan of Isaiah, but I prefer that over Cameron.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all, I am disappointed with the bracket structuring. Where are the play-in names? And how did these 8 names make the tourney in the first place? Which were given automatic bids? I'd like to take a look at the names on the bubble that were left out.

    But, in the spirit of the "madness", I place my first round votes as follows.

    1. Jackson over 4. Tupaquiupanqui
    -Although your bi-racial child could rock an exotic name, the #4 seed here is simply too long. I wouldn't want him to endure unaccomodating standardized forms that wouldn't provide enough blanks or ScanTron dots to properly spell his name.

    2. Dylan over 3. Tyler
    - This is the easiest first round match-up. Tyler is simply too generic; your child will not be. With a name like Dylan, you could tell him how he was named after a revolutionary poet who defined a generation; the way his namesake influenced the Walsh family and all of Beverly Hills High School should never be forgotten.

    4. Stryker over 1. Jordan
    - Mason's upset special. Although I would love nothing more than a little "Air Jordan", the name connotes NKOTB and is too frequently used as a girl's name nowadays. Question: How did "Starks" not make this bracket?

    2. Cameron over 3. Isaiah
    - This is definitely the toughest first-round battle. I like the spiritual weight that Isaiah carries, but fear the nickname "Izzy". In the end, I give the edge to Cameron, undoubtedly inspired by the home court of the Dukies. Can I assume Krzyzweski is being considered for a middle name?

    ReplyDelete