Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Well the new and improved Graves' family has made its way home. The jaundice is running scared and the sunglasses have been retired for now. We go meet with our pediatrician tomorrow afternoon so we'll get more information then. I also think the little guy is going to get his big circumcision (or Circ as they call it in the baby biz) tomorrow. We were all set to get his circumcision in the hospital on Sunday, until the nurse on call raved for about five minutes about how good our pediatrician is at Circs. So I have no idea what makes a circumsision amazing, but I'm expecting some sort of Edward Scissorhand type performance now. I'm hoping he can carve in a Lakers logo or something. We'll see.

Well Cameron seems to like his new home. He has raved with his eyes about how cute his room is. But, although he tried to hide it, I could tell he was a little upset that his bedding hasn't come in yet. He also wanted me to thank everyone personally for all of the gifts that you have bestowed upon him. His favorite so far is the striped swaddling blanket that he's been sporting all afternoon, because it has kept him very toasty and content. His least favorite so far is the changing table pad, as he made a point to pee on it at his first opportunity.

So far this entire process has been a rather large educational experience. I'm just trying to soak everything up. I followed around the lactation consultant (If I had this job I would definitely nickname myself the "Milk Man") with a pen and paper, stopped random women in the halls to inquire about their "wet secrets" (if you don't know what these are you need to pick up What to Expect...), and stayed up late to watch episodes of Teen Mom (I think Farrah needs to mature a little bit and spend more time taking care of Sophia). I think I'm starting to get the swing of things a little bit. It's a process.

I feel like at some point I'm supposed to make some sentimental statements about how miraculous the birth was, how much I fell in love when I first saw Cameron, how adorable he is, how I know all the sacrifices will be worth it now that I'm a father, etc. Well, I've made a conscious decision not to say these things to others. Instead, I want to say these things. Everybody better wash their hands immediately before they touch my son. If anybody purposefully hurts him or acts negligently in his vicinity, before he is old enough to defend himself, then I am going to attempt to kick your ass. I am going to act very laid back in your presence, but I want everybody to just know in the back of their minds that I am watching you. Now lets move on.

Really, that's about all for now. And even though I have a Y chromosome, I too am looking forward to Mindy's recap of the birth. I'm also looking forward to Reilly's account of this weekend (seeing how he spent most of it in a house alone with my mother). Although those two have had their differences in the past, I think that they have formed a bond. Actually, the two of them have quite a bit in common, one of which being that they both strongly value personal comforts in life. I wouldn't be surprised if our house was transformed into a sanctuary of pillows and blankets this weekend. I guess we'll just have to wait until one of them blogs to find out.

Thanks again to everybody for all of the support and well-wishes this weekend. We are truly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment