Sunday, February 14, 2010

One week old...

And everyone is still alive. So, all and all, a successful first week. Things seem to be getting into a bit of a groove (read: sleeping more, screaming less). I have to say that newborns are really very boring. So far, I feel like he has brought nothing to our relationship. If I could go back in time, I would definitely add newborn babies to my list of most overrated people. You people who ooooh and ahhh over these things need to explain yourself. Are these expressions of adoration genuine or do you just act like that because you think it is the thing to do. I'm leaning toward the latter, but if you sincerely like newborns I would love to hear your reasoning.

Let's see, what has happened since I last posted? Well, Mindy has nursed about 86 times. Cameron has pooped about 54 times (we actually have both of these figures documented so I'm sure Mindy can provide a fact check later). I have taken to asking Cameron in a Jersey accent whether or not "we have a Situation" before checking his diaper. Cameron has sported about 6 different outfits. Mindy and I did a fantasy draft for Survivor. I did a fantasy draft for the entire NBA All-Star weekend (including a celebrity basketball game). Although I got destroyed in this draft (to hell with Terrell Owens and all Harlem Globetrotters not named Special K), I like to think that so far I have made good on my promise to re-double my fantasy efforts. My mother has returned to California. Mindy's family has moved in (including a 6 pound miniature poodle named Lizzy). Apollo Ohno lucked into a silver medal due to the selfish actions of one South Korean. Mindy hasn't seen the sun in 4 days. Cameron had day/night reversal (yeah, that sucks), so now we have every light in our house turned on full blast during the day and every light set very dimly at night. I've taken to simulating a sunset for everybody with my remote control dimmer. We've eaten at about every fast food establishment in the greater Austin region. As a family we think it is insulting that they are making the women Lugers now start from the Juniors staring location. Cameron has sampled his swing, car seat, stroller, bouncy seat, bassinet, etc. Dude has a lot places to chill out. Cameron tried to nurse on everything in his general vicinity. I get really emotional watching anything birth related (i.e. the birth scene on the bridge in Fools Rush In and Big Mike's touching saga on American Idol). Reilly loves the new blanket to lifeform ratio around the house. Every adult's speaking voice seems to have suddenly increased by two octaves. And Mindy just yelled out "oh my gosh" after entering the baby's room to change him. It sounds like more excitement is on the horizon...

1 comment:

  1. Haha, Brian said the same thing about Sadie and being a newborn, "Really boring right now." But she is getting him more wrapped around her finger as she gets older and is more awake more often. Stayed tuned, Mike, it does get better.

    ReplyDelete